This cake was inspired by a cup cake recipe shared by one of my dear friends, so feel free to use it as a cupcake recipe as well. My friends that tried it could not believe it was grain and dairy free because it’s so light and moist! It’s a once in a while treat for birthdays or special occasions in our home but makes my boys smile from ear to ear when I make it.
This recipe uses quite a bit of honey so feel free to use less honey if you desire. The consistency will not change if you desire a more bitter sweet tasting cake. If you don't have a double broiler you can bring 1 inch of water in a sauce pan to a boil. Turn heat down to a simmer and place a heatproof glass or metal bowl on top to create a double broiler!
- Coconut Oil - 1/2 cup and extra for greasing
- Unsweetened Chocolate - 4 oz
- Coconut Milk - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 2 cups
- Eggs - 9
- Sea salt - 1 tsp
- baking soda - 1 tsp
- Vanilla - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut flour - 3/4 cup sifted
- cocoa powder - 1/4 cup sifted
- Shredded coconut - 1 cup
- Unsweetened chocolate - 5 oz
- Coconut butter - 1/4 cup
- Coconut milk (full fat) - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
- strawberries - 1/2 cup sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease 2 round 9" pans with a little coconut oil.
- In a double broiler melt whisk 4 oz chocolate and coconut oil until well combined. Set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs in a standard mixer on medium speed. Add coco powder, coconut milk and honey until well combined (30 seconds). Then add salt, baking soda, vanilla, shredded coconut and coconut flour and beat until well combined.
- Add in chocolate and coconut oil mixture and beat until well combined (1-2 minutes).
- Split the batter between the 2 greased pans (about half way each).
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. If making cupcakes you will need 2 muffin pans and baking time will be 20-15 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool in a cooling rack.
- In a double broiler add honey and coconut butter and whisk until well combined. Add remaining ingredients whisking until well combined (about 5-7 minutes). Set aside to cool. As it cools the frosting will thicken.
- Choose the flattest side of either cake as your top layer. Set the bottom layer in a cake stand or plate and spread some of the chocolate frosting as a filling. Add strawberries on top of the filling.
- Add the top layer pushing it down gently as it adheres to the bottom layer. Pour the remaining frosting on the top layer and spread it using a spatula over top and sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut and refrigerate for a couple hours.