When we started on the GAPs diet, one of the most difficult things to adjust to was not having a lot of “hearty” carb options that you could just grab and go. I would look at all my kids’s friends lunches and they would always have bread while my kids had eggs, chicken among other thing that are not that fun to eat cold. After a lot of searching and failed attempts, I finally found something simple that would bridge the gap! These rolls are fluffy, have a tinge of sweetness and believe it or not; if you cut them in half and add some stuff to the middle… you have a petite grain-free sandwich! My youngest asks me to make these everyday! If you have an issue with egg whites you can also try them with just egg yolks. They won’t be as fluffy but will still be tasty!
You may use almond flour in this recipe. Since we have a little sensitivity to almonds I actually grind my own sunflower seed flour. I soak it overnight, rinse in the morning and dehydrate them at low temperatures for a few hours until they are dry. Then a throw about a cup into my Vitamix (but a food processor will also work) for a few seconds and voila!!! We have sunflower seed flour!
- Allergens : egg
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and place parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks. (*Make sure the egg whites are free from any spec of yolks. I use a separate cup to make sure that if one of my yolks breaks into the whites I can save that for another recipe.)
- Set two bowls aside.
- In one bowl add the egg whites and lemon juice and beat with an electric mixer on medium high speed until the mixture forms peaks.
- In the mean time, on a separate bowl, add the yolks, honey and salt and mix with a spoon until well combined.
- Add the flour slowly to your egg yolk mixture until the the mixture has a batter-like consistency. Make sure it's not doughy. You may not need the whole cup of flour to accomplish this.
- Once the egg white mixture is ready, fold the egg yolk mixture into it until well combined.
- With a large spoon or cookie dough scooper, add dollops of the mixture to your cookie sheet about 1/2-3/4 inch apart.
- Place it in the oven and bake for about approximately 20 minutes or until rolls are lightly golden.
- Let them cool and serve!