When we first found out about all our food allergies and decide to eliminate the offending foods right away (like most desperate parents will do), it was really difficult to find a “carb” substitute for bread. So, my Mother-in-Law, as the wonderful baker that she is, came up with a great pizza crust recipe to hold us up for the time being. It was super popular with the kids and I leaned to incorporate other ingredients to get some more nutrition into my picky eaters. When we embarked on the GAPS/Paleo diet to really focus on healing our guts, some of the ingredients in our recipe (such as sorghum and xanthan gum) had to be eliminated as well. I was left empty handed, searching and searching online for some recipe that would be grain-free but also resemble an actual pizza crust. After much experimenting and lots of requests for a pizza crust recipe, I was finally able to crack the code! I wanted a recipe that was very simple as well as Egg-Free since so many of the kiddos I know can’t tolerate eggs. This Egg-Free Paleo Pizza Crust recipe can actually be eaten just like a regular pizza and it won’t fall apart like other recipes we tried. It’s super easy to make and will allow you to get creative with all your favorite toppings!
This pizza dough is super simple, with just a few ingredients. There is no need to use a mixer. Your hands will do just fine! I used ghee as my oil of choice, but olive oil will work very well as a 1:1 substitute. If you are dairy-free, Daiya vegan cheese can be a great Non-Gmo grain-free option. But to keep it even more simple, Nutrition Yeast can also be another great substitute. Check out my Brazilian Chicken Pie to make delicious homemade Grain-Free all purpose flour. I also make my grain-free baking powder from scratch and you can find those instructions on my Paleo Torta de Atum recipe . It's very easy and it will last you a little while (complements from the wholenewmom.com blog).
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Cook Time : 12-15 minutes
- Yield : 10
- Allergens : nuts
- Pre-heat oven to 375F
- In a small bowl add Grain-Free all purpose flour, Grain-free baking powder, Sea salt and Italian seasoning.
- Mix with a spoon until well combined.
- In a separate bowl add ground flex seed, warm water and Ghee or Olive oil in that order. Let the mixture sit for 30 seconds.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, using your hands until they no longer stick and you can form a ball with your dough.
- In a small pizza pan, add parchment paper and squish your ball until it forms a 10" pizza crust.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add your favorite toppings.
- Set the oven to 400F and bake your pizza for 12-16 minutes.