Empadão is a traditional Portuguese dish but it’s also very popular in Brazil and one of my favorite dishes of all time. When I was pregnant with my first child, Brazilian Empadão was one of my biggest cravings. Unfortunately, at the time I couldn’t find a single person that could make them for me where I lived. My craving was so strong I was motivated to learn how to make this dish myself. As I mastered this recipe, it became one of my most requested dishes for parties and gatherings. Once I went grain-free, I longed to be able to eat this dish once again and so did my friends! For this reason I created this Paleo version. My Paleo Empadão – Brazilian Chicken Pie tastes just as delicious as my original recipe; and now delicate bellies everywhere can also enjoy it as much as I do!
Try the Paleo Empadão with a side of Cilantro Cauliflower Rice!
- Prep Time : 60 minutes
- Cook Time : 50 minutes
- Yield : 1 pie
- Pie Filling
- chicken breast - 1 lb
- Chicken broth - 2 cups
- Butter or Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves minced
- Onion - 1 small chopped
- Celtic salt - 2 tsp
- Oregano - 1 tsp dried
- Tomato Paste - 3 Tbsp (organic)
- Green Olives - 10 pitted and chopped
- Peas - 1/2 cup frozen
- Heart Of Palm - 8 oz sliced (optional)
- Coconut Cream - 2 Tbsp
- Parsley - 1 Tbsp fresh and chopped
- Grain-Free all purpose flour
- Almond flour - 2 cups sifited
- Tapioca starch - 1 and 1/3 cups
- Coconut flour - 2/3 cup
- Pie Crust
- Grain-Free all purpose flour - 2.5 cups
- Palm shortening - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 2
- Chicken broth - 1/4 cup broth reserved from cooking the breasts
- Egg yolk - 1 for brushing
Making the Grain-Free All Purpose Flour (Recipe from A Calculated Whisk):
- In a bowl add coconut, almond and tapioca flours and combine well.
- Store it in a air tight container in the fridge.
- A Calculated Whisk website recommended that you sift all flours once they are combined.
Making the Pie Filling:
- In a sauce pan, add chicken breast and chicken broth.
- Cook on medium to low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Once chicken is throughly cooked, remove from sauce pan.
- Shred breast and reserve broth. You are going to need it in a little bit.
- In the same sauce pan, heat Ghee and sauté garlic until golden.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add shredded chicken, celtic salt, oregano and combine well.
- Add tomato paste and combine well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the reserve broth.
- Add peas, olives and heart of palm and combine well.
- Lower the heat and add the coconut cream, combining well.
- Turn off heat and add parsley and reserve, covering the pan.
Making the Pie Crust:
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Combine All Purpose Grain-Free Flour and palm shortening.
- Knead with your hands until you have a sticky "sandy" consistency.
- Add eggs and continue to knead.
- Add broth and knead the dough until it no longer sticks to your hands.
- Make 1 large ball with 2/3 of the dough and a smaller one with the remaining dough.
- In a oven proof pie dish, mold the larger ball to cover the bottom and 2/3 up of the side of the dish starting from the center of the dish. Use your thumb to even out the sides so it looks pretty!
- Add pie filling to the pie dish.
- On unbleached parchment paper, add the remaining dough and press it until you form a 9 inch circle.
- Using your hand, flip the circle on top of the pie and using your fingers gently press the edges together.
- Brush top of the pie with egg yolk until it is covered.
- Place the Empadão pie in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden or lightly brown.